Next week is St. Patrick’s Day and I figure it would be a great opportunity to post a simple St Patrick’s Day treat. I apologize for not posting treats on Tuesdays and I will make sure to be more mindful of posting. Once I am done at my university this semester (getting my degree in May 🙂 ) I will be posting more! Now, back to these candies. Do not let the name fool you, they do not contain potatoes at all. They get their name because they look like little potatoes. The picture makes them look big but they are about the size of the tip of your thumb.The recipe is really easy too. They are mainly cream cheese, coconut, and cinnamon with a couple of other things. They are different from a regular candy but they are tasty. As usual, you can add or reduce the ingredient to tweak it just the way you like it. Have fun with it and share it on St. Patrick’s day.
This recipe will give you a few dozen of these candies depending on how big you make them.Ingredients: 1/4 Cup softened butter 4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract 8 oz. Confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) 1- 1 1/2 cup of sweetened flaked coconut *add more for a stronger coconut flavor 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon Directions:
1. In a large bowl cream together the cream cheese and the butter. Make sure that they are well combined.
2. Add the vanilla extract and slowly pour in the confectioners sugar in small batches. I find that it is easier to get everything well combined if you just add the confectioner sugar a little at a time. You want it to create a dough. Once you notice that it creates a nice smooth ball you can stop mixing.
3. Stir in the coconut flakes with a spoon.
4. Take the dough and roll them into small balls, they don’t have to be perfect, remember they need to look like small potatoes.
5. Roll each little ball in the cinnamon and place them on a cookie sheet. (I line mine with wax paper or parchment paper for easier clean up). Chill them for 1 hour.